Lately, I’ve been concerned with an angle of the digital market that needs discussing: Editors. It concerns me that so few digital-only/digital-first writers are hiring this all-important help before the books go live.
Look, I’m a professional writer and have been for better than 20 years. I was trained to edit, and I’m pretty clean, clear, concise. And I would never send work out without the fine, clear eye and particular talents of an editor, and a copy editor.
Here’s a story of why:
I’ve just turned in the revisions for my next book for Bantam (currently titled The Flavor of a Blue Moon) and all the way through the process, answering the questions my editor posed, considering her suggestions, tightening here, expanding there; as I plumped up two characters, rewove an third, and adored a fourth all over again, I kept thinking—would I be able to see these things on my own?
The answer is—I’d probably see some of it. I’d let the work rest (just as it did in this professional process) and come back and see about 40% of the fixes I made. I am not at all sure I’d see the other 60%, not because I am a bad writer or because I think I’m so brilliant, but simply because I’m standing in the midst of my creation, walking around in the fully colored, fully realized landscape of my imagination, and it all looks real and strong and sturdy to me. As it should.
But maybe…just maybe…. [Read more…]