I’m passionate about sharing the ups and downs of the writing life with other writers and believe that building a community of fellow writers is beneficial to an otherwise isolated profession.
Without further ado, take it away, Marybeth!
Ten Ways to Torture Yourself as a Writer
1. Check your Amazon rankings. Then check the rankings for other writers.
2. If you’re feeling especially cruel, look at the rankings for some writer you’ve always envied because he/she is 1) much cuter/thinner/prettier/more fashionable than you 2) has better covers for his/her books 3) has that publisher, agent, editor you always dreamed of having or 4) all of the above.
3. Read your reviews on any bookseller site.
4. Go to various literary event websites and find the cool things that you have not been invited to.
5. Read the hip writer-type sites that you’ve never been asked to contribute to.
6. Compare your Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or other social media followers with those of other writers.
7. Read the bios for some of your favorite authors and compare what they do for fun, where they live, and their accolades with your own insignificant, mundane bio.
8. Read the blog posts of successful writers, taking in how insightful and witty they are. Then read your own missives about your last grocery trip or that spellbinding recipe for barbecue chicken.
9. Spend some time on Twitter watching the cool writers talk to each other. Take note of the inside jokes you are not a part of and, let’s face it, most likely will never be.
10. Go to group book signings and watch the readers flock to the Big Name Writers’ tables while your pile of books stays conspicuously the same size.
Not that I’ve ever done any of these things, mind you. I’ve just heard about other writers doing them. Ahem.
But seriously. Instead of torturing ourselves in the many ways possible (thanks to the wonders of social media), let’s resolve to stop wasting time doing those things and spend that time instead writing some really great stuff!
The best part is, we can all be included! Who’s in??