I recently stumbled upon a funny list on CNN.com, entitled, “The top 10 geek anthems of all time.” On that list: “Weird Science,” by Oingo Boingo; and “Nerdcore Rising,” by M.C. Frontalot, among others. Which got me thinking that we really needed a top 10 writers’ anthems of all time. I was going to write one, but then I found this and decided to steal it instead.
I’m like that. Especially during Tax Season.
SONGS FOR WRITERS
1. Every Day I Write The Book – Elvis Costello
2. Paperback Writer – Paul McCartney
3. Lady Writer – Dire Straits
4. Writer’s Minor Holiday – Calexico
5. Shadow Stabbing – Cake
6. Dancing In The Dark – Bruce Springsteen
7. When I Write The Book – Nick Lowe
8. There She Goes, My Beautiful World – Nick Cave
9. Wrapped Up In Books – Belle and Sebastian
10. Screenwriters Blues – Soul Coughing
Afflicted with the Researcher’s Curse, I kept searching and found another worthy possibility:
11. Great American Novel – Michael McDermott
Actually, if I hadn’t been lazy and had created a list all on my own, I’d probably have chosen quite a few songs with inspiring/inspired lyrics (“The sky looks pissed” – Ingrid Michaelson).
Which songs root you back in the craft of writing? Why? Have anything to add to the list? And if you’re suffering from the tax time blues, as I am, do check out our post on Tax Help for Writers, HERE.
Write on, all.