The Writer Unboxed Un-Conference is unique.
Part symposium. Part networking affair. Part workshop. Part retreat.
Unlike other conferences, the Writer Unboxed UnConference will not focus on the business of writing; there will be zero (zip, nada) sessions on finding agents or writing query letters or building platform. Instead, our focus will be exclusively on the things WU’ers crave most:
- Drilled-down, interactive conversations on craft led by trusted WU contributors–including gurus Donald Maass and Lisa Cron, and authors Brunonia Barry, Kathryn Craft, Keith Cronin, Anne Greenwood Brown, Juliet Marillier, Barbara O’Neal, Cathy Yardley, Heather Webb, and Therese Walsh
- Topics to help you understand yourself better as a writer
- Time to interact with peers and group leaders in and outside of sessions, because everyone knows that the best part of a conference happens when the conversation begins
- Time to write
In other words, we’re going to lean on our strengths, the qualities that have made Writer Unboxed such a strong site and community. We’re going to empower you. But this time, we’re going to empower you in person.
Tell me more.
Our sessions will be an expansion of topics you’ll find in WU’s first book, Author in Progress:
- ON THE WORDS SESSIONS are all about the craft, with topics that go a level deeper than the norm. For example, you might join a session entitled “learn from the masters: emotional turning points” or “writing true external worlds.”
- BETWEEN THE LINES SESSIONS focus on things outside of the writing itself but that impact it. For example, you may join a session on “the writing life balance” or “how beta-readers can help evolve your work.”
- TWO HALF-DAY WORKSHOPS will be presented during the event: one by Lisa Cron on STORY GENIUS, the other by Donald Maass on UNBOXED CRAFT.
- EXTRAS are still evolving, but will include a “Night Write” at the historic House of the Seven Gables, morning meditations, “hot topic” lunch opportunities with session leaders, walking groups, bedtime stories, a flash fiction challenge, and more. All extras are optional for you to join or not, as you wish.
- WRITING SPACE will be made available to you throughout the event. Join for quiet group writing in the mornings (“morning coffee”), or anytime.
When and where?
The Writer Unboxed UnConference will kick off on Monday, November 7th in Salem, Massachusetts, and span the week, culminating in a workshop by Donald Maass on Friday, November 11th, and a wrap-up party. Sessions will take place in the Hawthorne Hotel’s Library and Ballroom, and at The House of the Seven Gables Visitors Center.
Intrigued? Wondering how we’ll juggle elements, Monday-Friday? The following is a rough look at our schedule. [Read more…]