Writers: Enjoy Every Success, No Matter How Small

The quote “Writers: enjoy every success, no matter how small” came from Nathan Bransford, and it’s such good advice. Sometimes we get so obsessed with some big goal (getting published, writing a bestseller, etc.) that we forget to enjoy good moments along the way. — Debbie

p.s. If you’re doing NaNoWriMo this year, I encourage you to check out the daily NaNoToons that my friend Errol Elumir and I are posting to NaNoToons.net. You may also want to check out a related project of Errol’s: NaNoMusical, a 6-part Web musical about NaNoWriMo. The first episode is online, and I appear in it as an extra (dancing, even).

About Debbie Ohi

Debbie Ridpath Ohi writes and illustrates books for young people. Recent illustration projects for Simon & Schuster Children's include books by Judy Blume and Michael Ian Black. Her blog for children's book writers & illustrators: Inkygirl.com. On Twitter: @inkyelbows

Comments

1. Sarah says

Love this! I’m having a good writing day (days even!) and I’m suddenly feeling very proud of myself! I don’t want to ruin it by thinking about tomorrow or the next day, so I’m just basking in the glory of, “I’m doing it! I’m writing that book I’ve always wanted to!”

Great message. It’s easy to focus on the hard or slogging writing moments, like they are a zit on your writer’s nose. Thanks for the reminder that we need to celebrate the one, true sentences and one-inch frames we managed to fill in.

3. Ray Pace says

Five thousand words after two days and it seems to be pushing itself forward. Not only that, it’s fun!

Debbie,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I’m at 4,000 words after three days. I’m a litttle behind but the day is not over. Thanks again.

LOL, this fits so well with me so many days. Thank you for the reminder. I’m unofficially participating this year, using NaNoWriMo to kick start the planning for my next book – and there are still those days when that pesky little devil just won’t shut up! Excellent comic; thanks for posting!

Excellent advise. And from a renaissance man of our times. I receive his newsletter and am constantly impressed with his work and caring. (I won’t belittle him by saying he is not bad on the eyes, either.)

Our self-critical side is never so profound as when it comes to our writing. There is no outside barometer and we are always shooting for the fences. (Mixed metaphor, I know.) To go 50,000-70,000 words and then reach the critical stage of rejection or acceptance? Well it’s like running a marathon with no one at the finish line because the race was only in our heads. But we write because we must. There is no other alternative. And that is the call that we must accept. In the meantime, we have renaissance men such as Nathan to guide us along the way.

I am enjoying the “WRIMO” experience far more than I imagined. Mind you, we’re still in the week one euphoria. Unless we fall down an unseen plot hole we should continue to find it a roller coaster, I’m sure. Good observations and great cartoons. Thanks for those.

8. Leslie R. says

I love this post. (And really need to go watch the NaNoMusical now.)

I’m already behind on my NaNo word count, having had a friend visiting from out of town this weekend. But the times I have found to write so far this month have been good ones.