A Comic About The P-Word

The comic above was inspired by a recent discussion in Writer Unboxed as well as Juliet Marillier’s recent post.

Last time, I posted a cartoon caption challenge for an image featuring an editor at a desk and an Easter bunny. Lots of great responses! John Monahan‘s caption suggestion got the most thumbs up:

“We’ve had some complaints, so from now on you’re going to be called The Non-denominational Spring Festival Lagomorph-American.”

Heh.

Also, some big news in my life since last time. I just got two new book contracts with Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers, woohoo! Details here. Have a great weekend, all.

About Debbie Ohi

Debbie Ridpath Ohi writes and illustrates books for young people. Recent illustration projects for Simon & Schuster Children's include books by Judy Blume and Michael Ian Black. Her blog for children's book writers & illustrators: Inkygirl.com. On Twitter: @inkyelbows

Comments

Congrats on the book contracts, Debbie! That’s great news! Love the cartoon. As one who is struggling to build a platform, I understand the notion of throwing in a monkey, whatever it takes. What it takes is time, patience, focus. And a darn good laugh now and then. Thanks for providing that to us.

Oh, I absolutely love this!! I was just thinking about this very topic yesterday – you’ve summed it up perfectly :) That said, I’m off to write my book …
    Right after I tweet this.

There is also the third option of having a great sheep as well as a decent platform. I’m not sure about separating the two. You write because you want to reach people and connect with them. You build a platform because you want to reach people and connect with them. So maybe you can take a holistic view and work on them together?

In other news, so much congratulations!

4. Bernadette Phipps Lincke says

Sometimes a picture speaks a thousand words…such as your cartoon on platforms.

Congrats on your new books!

A good chuckle. It is hard to remember the sheep when you are building the platform.
    Off to tend my sheep – and find a monkey.

Nice metaphor! Got a smile out of me.

Good point, though. No matter how good your platform is, people won’t buy your book if it’s crummy.

That brought a big smile to my (somewhat jaded) countenance.

And congrats on the book contracts, fantastic news!

8. Ronda Roaring says

Congrats, Debbie. I think it’s a real gift to be able to look at the funny side of life. We need more cartoonists and comedians.