Unpublished Writer Position – Finalists, Finally

PhotobucketWhen Kath and I asked if you’d be interested in an unpublished writer joining the cast here at WU, we weren’t expecting the response we received — a definitive YES (187 of them, to be exact). And when we finally opened the doors for submissions, we weren’t expecting to receive so many worthy essays.

We thought this decision would be easy. It has been anything but easy. It has been stomach-ache-ing-ly hard. And I don’t even care if the fabu Dave King would scold me for using a non-word like stomach-ache-ing-ly; the sentiment is true.

Really? Just one? Kath and I have wondered. Can’t we take them all? And if you think I’m kidding, then you should know that we even considered creating a Writer Unboxed 2–a panel of unpublished writers with a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to offer, according to us. It’s an idea that continues to simmer on our collective back burner, and we may revisit it sometime in 2011–after I’ve worked through all of the phases for my second book.

But back to the decision. Hard. Stomachaches. Choices. Gah.

You should know that several people could’ve had this position. The submissions were that good. But in the end, we did decide that a few people and their essays stood out from the pack.

Here are our WU Unpublished Writer QUARTER-FINALISTS:

Suzannah Windsor Freeman
Jeanne Kisacky
Anne Brown
Jan O’Hara
Kristan Hoffman
Sharon Bially

So who wins the spot? We’re in the process of sending email notifications now, and we’ll post the results here on the blog by 5 p.m. EST. We have a few surprises in store.

Congrats and a big THANK YOU to all of our amazing finalists!

Photo courtesy Flickr’s Tyla’75

About Therese Walsh

Therese Walsh co-founded Writer Unboxed in 2006. Her second novel, The Moon Sisters, was named a Best Book of 2014 by Library Journal and BookRiot. Her debut, The Last Will of Moira Leahy, sold to Random House in a two-book deal in 2008, was named one of January Magazine’s Best Books, and was a Target Breakout Book. She's never been published with a lit magazine, but LOST's Carlton Cuse liked her Twitter haiku best and that made her pretty happy.

Comments

Fun fun! Now I have like a billion tabs open so I can check out all these great writers. Thanks for this opportunity, and congrats to all the quarter-, semi-, and finalists!
    .-= Kristan´s last blog ..Barcelona sunrise =-.

2. Sharon Bially says

Heartfelt thanks to WU for this wonderful initiative, and for the time and thought you’ve devoted to it.

Same. Agree with Sharon and Kristan.
    Congrats to those who were selected from start to the lucky last name(s). This is such a great site for all writers.
    Best from this Poet Writer in National Poetry Month!
    .-= Patricia A. McGoldrick´s last blog ..RAINBOW =-.

Thanks again for the opportunity. WU is such a great resource for writers and I love that you are bringing on a new voice. I can’t wait to read the new contributor’s posts.

And I agree with Kristan, I can’t wait to check out all these writers that you linked to. Thanks for linking to my website as well.

Cheers!
    .-= Rebecca @ Diary of a Virgin Novelist´s last blog ..Writing Workshops as Labs =-.

Congrats to all the semi-, quarter-, and finalists. And I’m happy for the lucky, wonderful, unpublished writer who gets to blog here.

But what happens if that unpublished author gets published? Will they get booted out?! LOL. I’m sure that wouldn’t happen; they’d probably just get moved to the published-author list of bloggers, right?
    .-= Laura Droege´s last blog ..Why Easter makes me want to fight =-.

6. Nina Badzin says

I’m excited to see my name on the list! I noticed that I’m in the minority for not having my own blog or website already. Who knew I was so behind!? ;)

Thanks again to Therese and Kathleen for all their work to give unpublished writers a boost. Looking forward to the final announcement later!

7. Laura says

@Nina Badzin That’s okay. :) My own site is very old (in my book) and isn’t for writing! You are not the only one behind.

And I am very happy to have gone through this opportunity! It was a great learning experience.