Yo, listen up, peeps. Therese and I’ve been Twittering. We’ve been hinting. And now, here it is: our THIRD (somewhat regular, whenever we get our butts in gear to do it) ANNUAL CONTEST. Whoop! Whoop! Holla!
Our last contest invited you to come up with the funniest made-up word ever . This year, we’ve decided to kick it up a notch. Our inspiration for this contest comes from the viral e-mail (and some say urban legend) of the 25 Funniest Analogies Collected by High School Teachers . Some examples:
- The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t.
- McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.
- From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you’re on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.
Click the link for more inspiration, you’ll die laughing.
So send us your hilarious analogy and you’ll have a chance to win a fabulous array of prizes. (We’re so sorry, but only those living in the continental U.S. are eligible.)
1) Beginning Tuesday, July 28, post your contest entry in the comment area of our OFFICIAL contest post (not this one–you’ll have to wait until tomorrow, you eager peeps).
2) Entries can be submitted until Tuesday, Aug. 4. Again, you must use the comment area in the contest post dated 7/28 or your entry will be disqualified.
3) Therese and I will choose the top 10 analogies. Bonus points for hilarity and elegance of prose.
4) WU readers get to vote on the winner out of the top-ten pool. (Be advised, we know when people spam the voting block. Only one vote will be allowed per person.)
And what do you win for all your hard work amusing us and the rest of the writerly Intertubes?
A book-lover’s feast. Each of our WU contributors has contributed a book or two for the WU gift basket. We can’t tell you what will show up as we are still collecting them, but you’ll have at least nine titles, possibly many more from our fantastic essayists. Plus, Therese and I will throw in a few surprises, just ‘cuz.
So check back tomorrow for our contest post. And GOOD LUCK!